Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010

As It Is

A new botanical photographic study emerged from my core today. In the process of creating it, how I longed to have shot it on film (which I didn't).

I'd have loaded the film onto a spool while staring into nothingness in a closet...

Fitted the spool into one of my 4 Patterson tanks, filled it up with water for a minute, then Ilford ID11 which I'd have had waiting in a measuring tube with a thermometer sticking out of it, reading approximately 20 degrees.

Then, setting the timer, I'd have rocked the tank back and forth....back and forth.... 

All the while, with baited breath, I'd have kept an eye on the last minute... and counting down for that moment...

When I could drain, and rinse...drain and rinse,

I would then fill it up with stop bath, and rock it back and forth...back and forth... Drain and rinse, drain and rinse...

Fix would be last, and the turning, rocking and tipping would become an anticipation, for soon enough, I could get to take it out and SEE it!! But... still had to wait, I would never let myself see it until I had rinsed it thoroughly and run some wetting agent through it.

Only then, I would take the film gently off the spool. Even before doing that I could make out the frames that coiled around and around in sandwiched circles. In this moment it was as if the rest of the world was obsolete. Once I had taken it out... I'd run the film through the insides of my fore & middle fingers, and I'd hold it up to any light in closest proximity, to see the images I had captured in my little box, with my mind's eye.

And I hadn't even got to the printing part yet, so more thrills awaited.
One day I will revisit this again. One day....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments & thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...