After several days and nights working on it, I finally completed The Wanderer this afternoon. I have to say I am just thrilled with this journal. I love the way it feels, outside and in. The materials seemed to uncannily fall together in complimentary ways, and I worked with my 2nd hand leather stamps for the first time! I'm thinking this is my new thing, I love them so much I could hammer all day long. Ideas streamed through my head with every hit.
I began with a pad of acid free sketching paper, which I sat down on the floor and got to hand-tearing until every piece was done. I used the leftover cardboard from the back of the pad to light the fire, in addition to all the off cuts. Then I filled up ye olde warming drawer with tea, and one by one, immersed each paper in the cool brown water. This I left for over 24 hours, turning it over in bouts. Once my desired colour was achieved, I transferred each piece to a tray then laid it all flat on sheets of plastic in any available space in the house. I had to do this in shifts of three for there was not enough space for it. So all together it took 2-3 days to complete this step.
Next, I made incisions in the paper after measuring out their spots with my ruler. I took my roll of linen thread and ran a long line of it through beeswax, after which I threaded it through a needle, and began. Once stitched, I covered it in mull and took to it with acid free glue and an olde brush. I lightly pressed it for 24 hours, then added headbands, and a soft piece of suede along the spine to give a strong and soft feel to the cover. I rummaged through my leather pieces and attempted several before the right one was selected - I loved the hole and immediately saw it with the floral fabric underneath. So after cutting it to size, I glued it and put it back in the press.
The finishing touches were most enjoyable and I now wonder where The Wanderer will end up... for now, it waits in my Etsy shoppe...