Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Words Awash, Olde Stamps & Such Things...

Last year, I created a journal called Words Awash after discovering an olde rusty washer in my Father's garage. I wrote about that here


Lately, I've been finding little washers about the place - in carparks mainly, but also on the roadside. And now that I want to find them, I keep finding more. Maybe they have always been there, but now I want them, they are blinking at me.

"...over here!"

One blinked at me a couple of weeks ago, right by my mailbox. There it was sitting by my toes. It is only 14mm wide. I immediately saw it on a necklace and slowly manifested it. I have been working on this little necklace for a while, and today I completed the piece. I delayed finishing it due to indecisiveness. I have a plethora of printed paper ephemera that could have peaked out through that infinitesimal hole, and my visions constantly altered.

I'll try this!
No.

I'll try that?
No, not that either.

But today, I discovered that it just might be "OK" to cut up a beautiful vintage French postage stamp that I had. I love the Art Nouveau era beautiful sketch on it.


Whatever happened to beautiful stamps? These days you have to ask for the things if you want them, and if you are lucky enough to get a couple they are not all that nice. Not like little etchings, like they used to be. Little etchings that got licked and stuck onto cards or envelopes, and sent around the planet so people could tear off the corners, stick them in books and keep them hidden away in cupboards for decades.

Bring back the beautiful stamps I say. But what for, in a world of electronic communication...

This mini version of Words Awash measures 1 x 1 ¼ inches; much tinier than the original journal which was 4 ½ x 3 ½ inches. You can check it here, or simply by clicking on any of the images below, which will take you to the listing in my Etsy shoppe.

Hope you're all having a wonderful week!








8 comments:

  1. Brilliant association between this beautiful stamp and rusty washer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just delightful, what a good read Louise. cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful artful expression.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is incredible! I fell in love!

    I agree, old postage stamps are very beautiful, with those fine raised etching lines almost fingerprint-like.

    In one of the local junk shops, they are selling little boxfulls of old stamps for 5 euros - every time I go I want to get one just to look through.

    I'm thinking to get a few snail mail correspondence friends, it's really rubbish that sending letters went out of fashion with emailing and texting. It's lovely to open a box and read old letters from friends and family.

    Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love what you've done with this rusty washer! And then to play with the stamp that way - so perfect. I also enjoyed the conversation until you reached the position where it was OK to use it! I agree; I often try to get interesting stamps on mail to send overseas; and am often times disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this mini book has such a character... I would wear it in my morning walks in the woods and fill it with bits of dry leaves and petals, maybe some sketches from old skinny trees too... dreamy work and the industrial touch is a perfect addition.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your comments. I much enjoyed creating this necklace and glad to hear your feedback. Sometimes you allow me to see things I would not have otherwise seen. I have a few of the stamps used in this little book so the cutting up was not so bad. I put the other tiny piece inside the Archivist! Nothing wasted. ;) Old stamps certainly are beautiful, I love sorting them into colour piles.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your feedback, so please feel free to write your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...