Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Mood Indigo

I have started a small run of journals, 
one of a kind, 
under the Indigo umbrella.

I had a dream I was lying in a bathtub full of Indigo. 

It's a wonderful process as resurrects memories of my photographic darkroom days, again, when I had a frenzied bout of working with cyanotypes. I always loved that part of photography the most, aside from pressing the shutter and capturing a moment in time, that I had chosen to frame - the printing part was an adventure I would completely lose myself in. 

I felt like a scientist, with all the little bottles of things 
(likely lethal chemicals though...) 
that created marvelous depictions of things I had seen.

How is this even possible? 
I would ask myself, 
as each image was born in the darkroom.

I have mentioned before in many ways, book binding and arts brings this back into my life. The need to work with my hands, with tangible objects. Photography as I know it, seems to be lost in the mist of a need for instantaneous images - no time to wait. 

It seems almost ironic, that this is how photography started, as instantaneous imagery, that folks marveled at in the late 1800s. But the long lost art of printing and processing is where my heart always found its place. In the future I dream of a place I can run a darkroom as well as book arts studio, and combine the two.  

For now, 
I ferry myself between a tiny house in the bush, 
and my atelier which is 30 minutes away - 
and feel grateful for what I have.

















16 comments:

  1. I have always loved the shades of indigo, you make me love it even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, that means alot. This colour came out particularly rich.

      Delete
  2. These are breathtakingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I love blues, Marie. Nice to have you here.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, lovely of you to stop by :)

      Delete
  5. It's interesting how quickly technology changes these days--in my lifetime--I remember once saying I'd never buy a digital camera (I was a purist). :-)

    Thirty minutes away from your studio--this is a long way, and now I marvel more than ever at your work. The indigo journal here is a delicate and strong beauty. A masterpiece waiting for the written word--or sketch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you re the camera. When I bought a digital camera it sat on the floor in my apartment for 6 months, and I took the Rolleiflex out with me instead. I still have issues with pixels. Thank you Dawn xx

      Delete
  6. lovely color! I have a sign on my studio door, mad scientist at work, enter at your own risk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds ideal, Susan! Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  7. beautiful colour... so rich and pure. Love to see the pieces in the vat, drying, stacked and ready for use and then adorning the covers - all so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim! Yes I agree. I have always loved blue. It's enjoyable to be working with natural fabrics.

      Delete
  8. Well, I am grateful for what YOU bring to the world Louise!

    I think the ebb and flow of things guarantees that handmade will always be "in" and probably to an even greater degree as time goes on. Seems to be a certain tilt these days to people coming back around to the idea of handmade and quality.

    Work and expression like yours is always going to find it's place here in the cosmos. Nothing replaces or improves upon work made from the heart. . . Nothing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a treasure, Nicolas, thank you for your kind heartfelt words. xx

      Delete

I love to read your comments & thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...